If you rent your home from your ex-partner and you are not married or have a life partnership, you may have the right to live in your home – at least in the short term – if you decide to separate. It depends on the name that depends on the lease and the type of lease you have. Find out what your options are. If you rent a property and you and your partner have signed the rental agreement, you are a tenant. If you have not signed a contract, but you have an oral contract with your landlord at the same time as your partner, you are probably a tenant, but you need to be advised by experts. Even if your name is not included in the rental agreement, you can still take responsibility for being a tenant. This means that you do not need to seek your spouse`s consent to do something that is normally related to the maintenance of the lease. For example, you are entitled to: Some lawyers and real estate agents provide written lease templates. The local authority`s housing council may, if necessary, present standard rental contracts. You must apply for an “occupancy order” from a court if you wish to stay. A rental agreement can usually only be changed if she and your landlord agree. If you agree to both, the change must be recorded in writing, either by the establishment of a new written document specifying the terms of the lease agreement, or by amending the existing written lease. It is considered a means of last resort because it can exclude someone from a property in which they can live legally.

You and your landlord may have entered into agreements on the lease, and they will be part of the lease as long as they do not conflict with the law. You and your landlord have legal rights and obligations. The rental agreement can give you and your landlord more than your legal rights, but no less than your legal rights. If a clause in the lease gives you less than your legal rights to your landlord, this clause cannot be applied. The lease must be signed by all tenants and your landlord. If there are common tenants, each tenant should receive a copy of the agreement. If you move in with your partner or your partner moves in with you, you should check your rental agreement and first talk to your landlord.